Get ready, because within the next few weeks you’re going to see some major improvements to the Guild Wars website! We’re working on some big changes behind the scenes that will result in a sleek, shiny new GuildWars.com. This redesigned site will feature an updated appearance and an improved layout, but most importantly, it will help you stay up to date on everything that’s happening in the Guild Wars game and community. See you soon on the new website!
As the nights become shorter and autumn winds blow through Tyria, it’s time to give thanks for this year’s harvest with some seasonal treats! From Nov 23-28, enemies in PVE will randomly drop Hard Apple Cider and Slice of Pumpkin Pie, two tasty consumables that are sure to please!
This past Halloween, many Guild Wars players on the East Coast of the USA were unable to participate in the big holiday finale and missed out on this year’s festival hats. To address the situation, two Halloween Hat NPCs will appear in-game from Nov
Halloween is coming to Tyria, so prepare for 13 days of mischief and mayhem, courtesy of Mad King Thorn and his Lunatic Court! The Halloween festival starts on Thursday, October 20, at noon Pacific daylight time (-7 GMT) and runs until 12:01 a.m. on November 2. This year we’re offering two spooky new costumes: the Vale Wraith and Ravenheart Witchwear. As always, Mad King Thorn himself will make a series of appearances on October 31! Be thereâ€”but beware! Head over to the The days are growing shorter, the air is crisp, and pumpkins are ripe on the vine â€“ fall is here!
If you’re like us, you’re counting the days until Halloween. Help us celebrate the season by entering our seventh annual Guild Wars Halloween Art Contest! Design a costume, carve a pumpkin, create a spooky piece of art, or whatever the spirits inspire you to create. Learn how to enter the contest
As the days grow short, Tyria prepares for the new year. Decorations pop up around town, and holiday vendors sell seasonal treats. The crisp air carries the scent of gingerbread and peppermintand the occasional flying snowball! Not everything is nog and joy. Again, the gods Dwayna and Grenth clash over who will control the weather during the coming months. This year, however, Balthazar has pledged his support to the followers of Grenth. Their united purpose: a chilly period of mortal reflection. In response, Melandru has joined forces with Dwayna to preserve the seasonal gaiety and bring on an early spring. Pick a side, and celebrate the season. Wintersday is here!
- Preparations have been made for Wintersday 2010.
- Holiday quests are now available throughout the land.
- Players can enter PvP Snowball Fights by speaking with Wintersday Priests.
- 8v8 ATS-style Snowball Tournaments are accessible through guild halls.
Snowball Fight Updates
- Dwayna vs Grenth 8v8 (Automated Tournament): Dwayna’s side no longer uses Avalanche; both sides now use Yellow Snow.
- Melandru and Balthazar costumes are available for purchase from the In-Game Store and the NCsoft Store.
- Fixed a text bug for Patient Spirit that displayed the Healing amount as 0 in the French concise description.
For more information on these changes, please see the following.
- Black Mantis Thrust: increased activation time to 1 second; increased recharge to 6 seconds.
- Leaping Mantis Sting: decreased activation time to 1/2 second.
- Mirror of Ice: increased recharge to 45 seconds.
- Empathy (PvP): decreased damage to 15…45.
- Visions of Regret: split for PvP; retains original functionality.
- Visions of Regret (PvP): decreased unconditional damage to 10…30; decreased conditional damage to 5…40; increased recharge to 30 seconds.
- Heal Party: split for PvP; retains original functionality.
- Heal Party (PvP): increased recharge to 20 seconds; decreased casting time to 1 second.
- Healing Burst: changed functionality to: “Target ally is healed for 5…130. All party members in earshot of your target gain Health equal to the Divine Favor bonus from this spell. Your Smiting Prayers are disabled for 20 seconds.”
- Barbed Signet: split for PvP; changed to apply Bleeding with Necromancer skills.
- Barbed Signet (PvP): removed casting time; removed Health sacrifice; reduced recharge to 4 seconds; changed functionality to: “You suffer from Bleeding for 6 seconds. The next Necromancer skill that targets a foe causes Bleeding for 2…16 seconds.”
- Faintheartedness: decreased duration to 3…16.
- Spoil Victor: split for PvP; retains original functionality.
- Spoil Victor (PvP): decreased Health loss to 15…75.
- Gaze of Fury (PvP): this skill now targets only allied spirits.
- Recuperation (PvP): removed the 75% Health cap.
- Signet of Binding: changed attribute to Spawning Power; increased casting time to 2 seconds; added the following functionality: “50% failure chance with Spawning Power 4 or less.”
- “Coward!”: added recharge of 2 seconds.
- Enraging Charge: changed functionality to: “For 5…15 seconds, you move 25% faster. Enraging Charge ends when you successfully strike a target, at which point you gain 0…3 strikes of adrenaline if you hit with a melee attack.”
- Overbearing Smash: removed unblockable property.
- Divinus Tutela [Healing Henchman] no longer uses Heal Party or Healer’s Boon, he now uses Heal Party (PvP) and Healing Burst.
- Tannaros [Punishing Henchman] no longer uses Visions of Regret, he now uses Visions of Regret (PvP).
The Year of the Dragon is upon usâ€”it’s time for the annual! Help honor the Celestial Dragon, a mythical reptile that will descend from the sky to bestow good luck upon the populace for all of 2012â€”but only if the traditional New Year’s feast meets the tiny dragon’s high standards!
The 2012 Canthan New Year Festival begins at noon Pacific (-8 GMT) on Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 and will end at noon Pacific (-8 GMT) on Monday, February 6th, 2012. On Sunday, February 5th, the Celestial Dragon will appear in Â every three hours to sample Canthan cuisine. The Dragon’s feast culminates in dancing, fireworks, a shower of gifts, and special prizes for festival-goersâ€”but only if the Dragon is satisfied with the offerings! Ensure the Dragon’s blessing of good fortune by helping prepare dishes for the feast.
In addition to the great feast, you can explore the Â , embark on a variety of festival-themed quests, and visit the wandering Fortune Teller for a glimpse of your destiny. Enjoy a good game of chance? Try your luck and test your skill in the Â ! Those who are feeling slightly more combative can visit the all weekend long for some all-out dodgeball action. Canthans living abroad won’t be left out:Â Â and will also host smaller celebrations, complete with traditional New Year’s decorations.
Mark your calendars and help the Celestial Dragon ring in the new year, Canthan-style!
North American players, rejoice! You now have not just one opportunity, but two, to get your hands on a Guild Wars miniature! As you may be aware, NCsoft Europe recently announced a partnership with various European publications that will give players the chance to acquire one of several Guild Wars in-game miniatures. North American players have an opportunity to acquire an all-new miniature in the PC Gamer Special Guild Wars Issue. In addition, we are offering the chance for U.S. and Canadian players to sign up on the Guild Wars website,for a chance to acquire one of the hotter-than-hot items from previous miniature distributions: the various uncommon, rare, and ultra-rare miniatures such as the Oni and the Shiroken Assassin!
Hundreds of entries later, after votes, tabulations, a tie-breaker, and much excited discussion, we’ve determined the winners of the Guild Wars Halloween Art Contest 2007! The seasonal spirit was very evident in the entries and the quality was simply stupendous. The contest rules are.
Due to the extraordinary number of contest entriesâ€”and considering the amount of exceptional art that they presentedâ€”we have expanded this year’s prize pool. This year, the Guild Wars Team, who served as our judges, selected a grand prize winner and a total of 10 winners, five each in the Art and Costume categories. Beyond that level, we recognize 20 honorable mentions, and 70 finalists.
All who placed in the contest will be notified by email within the next 10 days, and we will be sending out prize packages,after we receive the required email confirmation from each of those who placed in the contest.
Thank you to all who enteredâ€”your art has made our Halloween holiday spirit even brighter.
The Wintersday 2007 Contest offered one Guild Wars player the opportunity to make a significant and historic mark on the annual holiday celebration. Players were invited to get into the spirit of the season and create a piece of concept art for our traditional Wintersday giveaway: a splendid piece of holiday headgear.
This special seasonal hat is only available on the final day of the festival when Grenth, Lord of Death and Ice, and Dwayna, Goddess of Air and Life, vie for the support of the citizens of Tyria in the thrilling climax to their yearly contest. The winner of this heavenly battle rules the wintry weather in the coming months, and generously rewards his or her loyal supporters with gifts, including a brand new hat.
Players responded to the call for helm concepts with excellent ideas of all kinds. From literally hundreds of designs, the Guild Wars team selected six top winners and fifteen honorable mentions. All of the winners are listed below. You can find the rules for the contest and the list of prizes.
Thanks to everyone who participated in the contest, and to who helped support the prize offerings. We will contact the winners after Wintersday to distribute the prizes. Everyone is invited to see the grand debut of the two new Wintersday helmsâ€”including the player-designed* Grenth helmâ€”at 12:01 AM Pacific time (-8 GMT) on January 1, 2008, and every three hours throughout the day.